November First--a few musings

4:33 PM

I woke up this morning to the melodious sound of my mother shrieking "White Rabbit!!". This tradition always occurs on the first of the month, so while I groaned into my pillow, I was inwardly perplexed at how I'd let the month of October slip away without my noticing. "November?! Already?!!" My mother eventually discontinued her morning serenade, and wandered off to start some laundry in the other end of the house. I heard the "leedle-leedle" of the phone in the other room. The answering machine played the following chaotic message: "White Rabbit!!" I was in no hurry to tumble out of my soft, warm bed to answer it. When I did come out, I was greeted by the soft pitter-patter of rain outside. We had hoped to rake leaves and mow the lawn today, but the weather protested, so my siblings and I spent the day doing indoor chores. I love autumn. Yesterday, I let Halloween pass me by without eating even a single piece of candy. I can't think of a worse holiday than Halloween, so why did they schedule it during one of the loveliest times of the year? Last night I curled up in a blanket and watched Lord of the Rings while my family went to a football game. Sigh. Right now the drizzle outside has called it quits, and a fire is crackling in the wood stove. I lit a Gold Canyon candle on the little booktable in our living room, and the enchanting scent of cinnamon and apples is permeating the room. Sigh. I love autumn. Thanksgiving is not quite here, but I'm overflowing with thanksgiving nonetheless. My brother is married, my sister is pregnant, my church is awesome, our family has so many wonderful friends! My house is warm, I've pretty much recovered from my cold, the list goes on and on. I'm so blessed.

Don't forget to give thanks!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments