the power of fidelity

2:29 PM


Do you lack confidence?
Uh, I do.
Fide (fee-day) is latin for faith. And by the way, contrary to what Disney would like you to believe; faith doesn't mean belief in a nebulous optimism, but actually means trust, or reliance on a guarantee.
To confide is to entrust, to act upon faith; confidence is state of trusting or having faith.
Do you realize if you lack confidence, you are faithless? There's a word for faithlessness. Infidelity. You are an infidel when you do not have confidence. Fancy that. Aren't words fun?
And no, I'm not referencing the Quran.

In light of a lot of the stuff going around in my personal and general social sphere, I'm beginning to recognize the power of personal fidelity. Personal faithfulness. Not "self-confidence" mind you, which is a joke and practically oxymoronic. It goes in a semantic category with "crash-land" and "obama-care". The last entity in the universe with "Reliable" at the top of their resume is yours truly. If I have any confidence it's in spite of self, not based in self.

If I've learned anything profound in these whiz-bang two decades of existence I've tallied on my DNA, it's that I AM THE PROBLEM. I am faithless. I am unfaithful.

I want to end sex-trafficking but I can't keep my room clean.
I want every orphan to have a loving home but my home could use a little more love on my account.
I want all unborn humans spared from the slaughter of abortion, but I'm not good with money.

What if the confidence and boldness it takes to change the world begin with small steps of faithfulness? Fidelity. Stand true. Stay loyal to your family, your clan. Control your impulses, kick bad habits. If you climb to the top of the ladder and make big waves and affect great change but are caught up in your own weaknesses and secret sins, any difference you make will be tainted.
Fold the laundry, take out the trash, skip the movie and go for a hike. Speak love instead of a come-back. Switch to a positive station, reject a dirty thought. Eat an apple instead of a fist of cheetos. Surprise a sibling by saying you're sorry. Kiss the baby instead of checking Facebook.
Your faith has nothing to do with where you aren't, or tomorrow or yesterday, but right here, right now. Your inner workings, your quiet humilities and the faithful steps you take in good conscience are your loudest gospel. This isn't faith in your ability to be faithful, this is God's faithfulness in your life.  "I thank my God every time I remember you...being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. " -Phil. 1.6
"...if we are faithless, He remains faithful--for He cannot deny Himself." 2 Tim. 2


Hold fast.


You Might Also Like

1 comments